Monday, May 21, 2012

Face-to-Face

Displays of Affection . . .

Last week I had three significant opportunities to interact directly with the public in the work I do in heritage and archives.  I love organizing museum and archives collections, but it is having that chance to make a personal connection that gives me a real thrill. 


I kind of always thought I was a background person, someone who just liked to be behind the scenes. Frankly, it's one reason why I chose to train as a museum collections manager. As I have grown in my career, however, I realize that I very much enjoy interpretation and developing exhibitions, and working directly with audiences. I am good at organizing information and collections, which enables me to understand and speak to specific heritage topics, but if I don't get a chance to share these findings with people I feel as if something - someone! - is missing in my professional world.


Preservation & Presentation. I need to live and breathe these tenets of heritage work.

No comments:

Post a Comment